Love, Logic, and Forgiveness

Parenting. For me, the word brings up countless images. The smell of a baby's fresh-washed hair after getting out of the bathtub. The feel of soft new born skin. Cuddles, giggles, drool. Sleep deprivation. Diapers. Mountains and mountains of diapers. Toothless grins. Chubby legs taking first steps. Story time - Goodnight Moon a hundred times. Sibling rivalry. Carpool. Homework. Dance recitals, soccer games, Girl Scout cookies, and proms. Surly teens, the eyeball roll, snarky attitudes. It's a mixed bag. I read a book once titled Parenting Isn't For Cowards. That's putting it mildly! 

I've heard grandparenting is way better! I'm totally looking forward to it. In just three weeks, we embark on that new and uncharted territory. I'm sure it will be everything everyone says - and more.  


When the opportunity came up recently to take a parenting class at church called Love and Logic, I jumped at it. I've heard that it's great information, applicable for parents, grandparents, teachers, etc. According to their website, "The Love and Logic Institute is dedicated to making parenting and teaching fun and rewarding, instead of stressful and chaotic. We provide practical tools that help adults achieve respectful, healthy relationships with their children." Um, where were they when I was a new parent in 1985?  


I'll admit, the six-week class has been very good. Especially since my wise friend, Sharon, facilitated. However, it's also been a six-week battle. Guilt - lots of guilt. Each and every week, I've learned new ways that I blew it as a parent. Of course, I didn't really need a class to show me that. I already knew that. I have the battle wounds to prove it. But, still, it's been hard. The false guilt and all. Logically, I know that we did the best we could with the tools we had at the time. Every decision and action we took was done in love. Well, except for the times we blew up out of sheer frustration and desperation ... So, what can I do with all this now? The only thing I can do is forgive myself. I know God has already forgiven me.


My expectant daughter and her sweet husband sat next to me during the class. They are filled with hopes and dreams that all new parents have. No doubt they'll be great parents. But no matter how hard they try, they will make mistakes, too. I'm sure that Jackie's hoping she'll do a better job than we did - just as I hoped that I'd do better than my parents. I think that's normal. But we can't be perfect. Only Jesus can!  


Paul says in Philippians, "One thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." That is my goal. To keep my eyes on Christ, and to be the best grandma I can be. Kind, loving, and shining His light.  And if I have to use Love and Logic on my grand kids to teach them to behave, I'm ready. I'm also ready to shower them with popsicles and hugs and kisses and will even read them Goodnight Moon a hundred thousand times.  

Comments

  1. Yes, you will absolutely LOVE being a grandparent. You collect all your beat up wisdom you have acquired over the years, realize the important stuff and toss out the rest. Purge the past failures. Renew your mind on the truths. Forgive yourself...and step out with the popsicles and kisses. You will be surprise how much you find yourself staring at their faces thinking how could people not see God when you are bubbling forth with love on the inside.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Adam - My Nature Boy

The Things We Pack

My One Word For 2016: Release