Experiencing God

Most days, there is very little on Facebook that peaks my interest. In fact, I only glance at it about once a week, if that. But this morning, someone posted something that really got me thinking. Here is what it said:

Ask Christians what they believe about God, and most will have a good deal to say. However, ask the same people what they know about God from direct experience, and most will have much less to say. Many speak of knowing their sins have been forgiven. Some will speak of answers to prayer or a sense of God's presence. But many will fall strangely silent. Many - even evangelicals who talk the most about a personal relationship with God - will not have much to say about how they actually experience God in that relationship. A.W.Tozer notes that most of us who call ourselves Christians do so on the basis of belief more than experience. We have, he argues, "substituted theological ideas for an arresting encounter; we are full of religious notions but our great weakness is that for our hearts there is no one there."

Any authentic spiritual journey must grow from direct, personal experience of God. There is no substitute for a genuine encounter with Perfect Love. "Knowledge by acquaintance," Tozer affirms, "is always better than mere knowledge by description." Knowing God is not simply a matter of believing certain things about him. Personal knowing goes beyond objective knowing. Talking about a relationship is easy. Actually coming to develop a love relationship with the invisible God is far from simple. it doesn't happen automatically for anyone." Surrender to Love by David Benner

So today, I've been asking myself, "What do I really know about God from direct experience?" Not head knowledge. Not a feeling. But actual relational experience? That's a good question. I met him over 30 years ago. Earlier this week, a friend was talking about what it was like being a new Christian. I remember. I was 19 and had started attending Warehouse Christian Ministries. It was 1981 - before the internet. I was attending church on Sundays, as well as a mid-week Bible study. But I didn't really know anything about the Bible. Not having grown up in Sunday school, I had no background knowledge of the Old Testament characters (Adam, Eve, Abraham, Noah, King David, etc). I didn't really know anything about Jesus either - except for the basic Christmas story.

Then the Holy Spirit got a hold of me. My soul was so thirsty for God, for His Word, to know more about Him, and more importantly, to know Him. The only thing I had was a "Good News" New Testament paperback that I'd been given by the church. As a struggling waitress/student, I couldn't afford to go out and purchase a concordance or bunch of commentaries. Nevertheless, I went to the public library, and I checked out a Bible with commentary in it. Every evening that I wasn't working, I'd go sit in a booth at Carl's Jr. and just soak it up. I think I re-checked out that Bible for months.

One day, my non-Christian father quipped, "What is it that you are doing every night?" It was obvious to him that something was happening with me. I couldn't explain it. Something had just taken me over. I couldn't get enough of God. I couldn't put God's Word down, but I figured he'd think I was crazy if I told him that I was just reading the Bible. It's been over 30 years, and that insatiable appetite for God's Word hasn't changed.

Recently, we've been doing a women's Bible study on Hebrews 11, which is taking us through the Old Testament. Today's reading in 1 Samuel reminded me of one time several years ago when I heard directly from God. One of my children was about to make a huge life decision that I completely disagreed with, but there was nothing I could do to talk them out of it. What was worse, that child was asking for my love and support in the midst of it. That day, I read 1 Samuel 8:21, "So Samuel repeated to the Lord what the people had said, and the Lord replied, "Do as they say...." I can't explain how I knew it was God speaking to me. It just was. I experienced his direct presence that day, his reassurance, and his support. After all, he was God, yet his own children were making decisions that he, himself, disagreed with, but he didn't force them to do things his way. Instead, he let them make mistakes.

In the days and months ahead, God helped me as a mom. I experienced him in an intimate way, because I felt like I understood his heart, and he understood mine. Years later, my child finally realized the decision was a mistake. But they learned from it. Thankfully, we still have a close, loving relationship. More importantly, I still have a close relationship with God!

When I read that Facebook post today, and when I did my Bible study homework, I was nearly moved to tears. The question was, "What do I know about God from direct experience?" Honestly, a lot. I wish I could say that I experienced Him every day. That would be a lie. Not that he's not present, but because I'm too distracted to notice, or to interact with him. But, over the 30 years that I have known Him, I've had many such experiences when I've heard from Him, seen his miracles, His Works, felt His touch, and Heard Him speak. I'm so grateful that I know and serve a God who wants us to know and experience Him. Tozer is right. There is no substitute for genuine encounter with Perfect Love.

Comments

  1. Hey Mar,
    What a beautiful post. So true. What I know about Mary Gilzean from my direct experience is she is a tried and true friend...and writes lovely words. She is insightful and has great empathy for others. Hum...sounds a lot like her Heavenly Father. You musta got it from Him : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Adam - My Nature Boy

The Things We Pack

My One Word For 2016: Release