My One Word For 2016: Release


A very sad thing happened to Rudolph on the way to Christmas dinner.  He lost one of his antlers on the freeway. "How can this be?" You ask. Well, it all started when my mother-in-law rolled down the window...well, actually, it started when I purchased a red nose and antlers for my KIA. Silly. Yes. But fun. And these days I'll take all the fun I can muster up. But my fun didn't last long, because when we picked up Don's mom on Christmas, she didn't know the rule about not rolling down the window. So, there I was, perched in the back seat balancing the scalloped potatoes and flowers and salad and such. In a split second - woosh! The antlers flew onto the freeway. Oops. Sorry about that. 

I've been praying for the past couple weeks about what ONE word God wants me to focus on in the coming year. Last year my word was HOPE. I've been sensing that in 2016, He wants me to focus on the concept of RELEASE. Letting go. Setting free. Giving up.


I think that my antler loss was another hint. It's like letting go of a balloon and watching it fly away. I need to do that with my burdens. I need to give them to God and truly leave them in His capable hands. Not praying and then grabbing them back in my tight little grip. All that does is keep me in emotional bondage to my worries. It's like the story about how to trap a monkey by putting a banana inside a coconut that is chained to something. Supposedly, the monkey slips its hand inside and grabs the banana and won't let go. I'm not sure if that really works. But I do know that holding on to my worries keeps me chained down. My prayer for 2016 is that I can loosen my grip on the banana and let go.  

Psalm 55:22 - "Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you..." Lord, please help me to do that in the coming year.  Amen.

Comments

  1. Well I just left a big long comment then realized I was signed in as Patty A under the prayer team email...so my current word for the year starts with an "F". No not that one, but rather "false" post or "fail" or "fiddlesticks" : (. Maybe my word should be "do over"...wait that's two words. Oh, I need practice with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post with your antler example. So good for all of us to consider.
    My word for 2016 is discipline...it doesn't seem as fun as yours. I got back in line and the Lord handed me the same word. So here we go Lord. I'm looking forward to what God produces in new disciplines!! What His will is for 2016

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the visual and the monkeys. I do feel like God sends me signs that I don't stop to read. My word is wholeness as in: having all necessary parts : not lacking anything
    : not limited in any way
    : not requiring more work : entirely done or completed. That's what I pray I will become in Christ.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Missing Adam - My Nature Boy

The Things We Pack